The U.K. – U.S. Relationship: Navigating Trade Amidst a Pandemic
June 8, 2020 | 11:00 AM – 12:00 PM ET
With the advent of Brexit, the UK is in the process of negotiating new trade deals, including with Washington. With the United States the UK’s top export destination, what will a future trade deal look like? And do considerations of the Coronavirus pandemic affect these negotiations at a time of economic fragility around the world? Tune in on Monday, June 8, 2020, from 11 AM – 12 PM to listen to Antony Phillipson, British Consul General in New York and Her Majesty’s Trade Commissioner for North America, discuss the negotiations, the critical UK-U.S. relationship, and cooperation during a global health crisis.
Antony Phillipson, British Consul General in New York & Her Majesty’s Trade Commissioner for North America
Antony Phillipson was announced as Her Majesty’s Trade Commissioner (HMTC) for North America in February 2018. He became Her Majesty’s Consul General in New York in November 2017.
Antony joined the Civil Service in 1993.
He has held a number of posts in Her Majesty’s Government.
Previous roles include:
- Principal Private Secretary to the Secretary of State for Trade and Industry
- Counsellor at the Embassy in Washington
- Prime Minister’s Private Secretary for Foreign Affairs
- Head of the FCO Iran Coordination Group
- High Commissioner to Singapore
- Director (EU External), European and Global Issues Secretariat, Cabinet Office
- Director of Trade and Partnerships in the Department for Exiting the European Union (DexEU)
Antony has a degree in modern history from the University of Oxford.
COULDN’T ATTEND THE EVENT? Don’t worry. You can watch it below:
Image credit: Brexit Central
We are trying our best to keep the community informed about foreign affairs, and we would appreciate if you can support us to keep this virtual briefing series going. No amount is too small.